Meditation and Yoga - Marianne Bochilo, presenter of our meditation programs, has free online meditations available through her website.
Soothe the Soul Workshops - As we continue to venture into the thick of a global crisis, many individuals are struggling with confusion, concerns, and stress. Guided by the Library's Social Work Intern, we will be hosting our first Soothe the Soul workshop this week on Thursday, March 26th at 11:00 am - 12:30 pm. During this digital event, which will be conducted live via Zoom conferencing, we will be covering a variety of topics relevant to these difficult times. We will discuss tools for combating anxiety and depression in a time of crisis, along with a variety of methods on how to help renew and replenish the mind, body, and soul. We will also share the floor with our participants, as this is workshop aims to provide a collaborative and interactive experience. We welcome any special requests for future event topics as well.
If you can't make it this week, we will be offering these events every Tuesday and Thursday at the same time! We hope to see you all there! You can register for this group at our website HERE.
Live From The House - Dave Ruch concert series. To view one of the live concerts listed below, just point your browser to https://www.facebook.com/dave.ruch.96 at noon on the day of your choice (listed below).
- TUESDAY (tomorrow) NOON - NYS History Through Music
- WEDNESDAY NOON - Songs for Kids!
- THURSDAY NOON - All Request Hour (from jazz to Neil Young)
- FRIDAY NOON - Learn to Play (Guitar this week, theme will change)
- MONDAY NOON - All Request Hour
Metropolitan Opera House has free streaming presentations of its Live in HD series.
BroadwayHD is an online service providing access to full-length Broadway productions on-demand, is currently offering a weeklong free trial to new customers.
Express Yourself - You are invited to video-chat with author/artist Joyce Raimondo, Education Coordinator, who will guide you through the home and studio of abstract painters Jackson Pollock and Lee Krasner. Children ages five - twelve and adult companions: Wednesday, March 25, 2 - 2:40 p.m.; Thursday, March 26,2:00 - 2:40 pm. Children age nine - teens: Thursday, March 26, 4 - 4:40 p.m. Email for full schedule and to register: email@example.com
Storyline Online is a site that streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
Scholastic Learn at Home is a free open-access digital learning hub.
Other Programs and Links of Interest
Ask an Archivist At-Home Preservation Series for those interested in getting some practical, professional advice about how to preserve your personal family archives, or are looking to learn something to bring back to their organizations. Plan to budget 60 minutes for each meeting in order to have ample time to cover the topic and to answer comments and questions during and after the webinar.
- Preserving a Stack of Old Letters - Learn the professional way to process and store letters while maintaining original order.
March 27, Friday 12:00-1:00 PM (live)
Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/903168266 (phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York))
- Preserving What’s Been Stuck In That Old (Scrap)Book - Identifying and preserving items that are found loose in scrapbooks and books.
March 31, Tuesday 12:00-1:00 PM (live)
Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/522336440 (phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York))
- Do's and Don't for Oral History Interviews - Tips for creating a good oral history interview which requires thought and planning.
April 3, Friday 12:00-1:00 PM (live)
Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/219797157?pwd=ZUV6RzB6OHBsM2xMNE9DOHRTc3hxQT09 (phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York))
- Cleaning and Preserving Ceramics and Glass - Learn about best practices for cleaning and handling ceramic and glass objects.
April 7, Tuesday 12:00-1:00 PM (live)
Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/396158185 (phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York))
- Folding Textiles for Long-Term Storage - Learn how to store textiles commonly saved by families and organizations.
April 10, Friday 12:00-1:00 PM (live)
Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/476254348 (phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York))
- Safely Displaying Archival Materials - Safe and creative ways to showcase your items while maintaining best practices for display.
April 14, Tuesday 12:00-1:00 PM (live)
Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/160655529 (phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York))
- More Bang For Your Buck: Making the Most of Preservation Materials - Some practical ideas for ways to make those expensive archival supplies stretch a little further.
April 17, Friday 12:00-1:00 PM (live)
Join URL: https://zoom.us/j/269344304 (phone: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York))
Long Island History Project is a twice-a-month podcast featuring interviews with researchers, authors, filmmakers, collectors and any person with a passion for the history of this riotous island. From tales of revolutionary spies to memories of one-legged stock car racers, we seek to bring you authentic voices with compelling stories to tell. We also aim to shine a light on those people and organizations working to preserve Long Island’s heritage.
Welcome Home Magazine - Special issue of author Debbie Macomber's new digital magazine.
Class Central has free online Ivy League courses.
Parenting, Media, and Everything In Between - Links to free online activities for kids at home.
Busy Toddler - Tons of activities to keep your toddlers busy.